More than just a fad at your local juice bar, wheatgrass juice is a centuries-old remedy to a variety of ailments. Credited as one of nature’s best medicines, I like to make wheatgrass shots at home using a juicer and wheatgrass purchased from Whole Foods or the farmer’s market. Just a couple handfuls of wheatgrass is enough to juice your daily dose. Chase with an orange wedge and you’re good to go! Or, simply add wheatgrass to your typical green juice recipe for an extra kick.
If you don’t own a juicer, you can purchase a wheatgrass shot at your local juice stop. Consumed as a liquid, just 2 oz. of wheatgrass juice boasts the nutritional equivalent of five pounds of raw organic vegetables.
Not only is it jam-packed with nutrients, 20% of its total calories stems from pure protein. Not like your typical protein, this kind is in the form of polypeptides, a simpler, shorter chain of amino acids the body more efficiently uses in the blood stream and tissues.
The benefits don’t stop there. Read on for the top 10 benefits of wheatgrass juice…
1. Healing: Wheatgrass contains over 90 minerals, as well as vitamins A, B-complex, C, E, I, and K. It’s also rich in protein and contains 17 amino acids.
2. Digestion: Wheatgrass contains 30 digestive enzymes, and thereby aids in the body’s digestive process.
3. Obesity: Wheatgrass stimulates the thyroid gland, which is essential to regulate metabolism and calcium levels.
4. Blood: Wheatgrass contains up to 70% chlorophyll, an important blood builder. Chlorophyll molecules closely resemble the molecules that form hemoglobin, the respiratory protein responsible for transporting oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body.
5. Detox: The high amount of chloryphyll increases oxygen levels in the blood, an important part of detox and cleansing. It allows toxins to exit the body and its high phenolic content promotes the binding of chelated metal ions in the colon and liver. And, glutathione activates wheatgrass enzymes, catalyzing the breakdown of harmful bodily waste.
6. Tissues: Liquid chlorophyll is able to refine and renew cell tissues.
7. Anti-Cancer: As mentioned, the anti-bacterial properties in wheatgrass detoxifies the blood and lymph cells, as well as efficiently eliminates poisons from the body. In congruence, chlorophyll protects against carcinogens better than any other food. Studies show wheatgrass reduces carcinogen absorption as it strengthens cells, neutralizes toxins, and detoxifies major organs like the liver. It brings your body to a more alkalized state – an essential part of combatting disease and illness.
8. Skin: The properties in wheatgrass are proven miracles to the skin.
Internal Effects: Since wheatgrass allows the body to detoxify, the skin is less prone to breakouts. Wheatgrass is packed with antioxidants, which neutralizes free radicals – a major preventative step toward premature aging of the skin and skin cells. And, since wheatgrass promotes a balanced alkaline state, skin becomes clear and bright. Some studies even show that drinking wheatgrass for prolonged periods of time helps fade scars and stretch marks.
External Effects: When wheatgrass is applied directly to the skins surface, it can fight harmful bacteria for a thorough cleanse. It also soothes itchiness, skin inflammation due to sunburns and rashes, as well as creates the foundation for a great facial mask or scalp treatment.
9. Hair: Due to the antibacterial properties in wheatgrass juice, it makes the perfect ingredient to a DIY shampoo or conditioner. Massage 6 ounces into your scalp and allow it to sit for 15 minutes. This strategy is proven to eliminate dandruff and other issues that take place at the follicle.
10. Magnesium: The high levels of magnesium found in wheatgrass assists a variety of biological functions, such as muscle and nerve activity, energy expenditure, protein and fat digestion, and more.
Next time you visit a juice bar, brave a shot of wheatgrass. Your body will thank you.
Disclaimer: Consult your physician before making changes in diet, exercise, and lifestyle. Print Recipe